Can an Autistic Child Receive SSI Benefits?

Here’s how an autistic child could receive SSI benefits.

If you have an autistic child, you may be struggling with caring for them and meeting your own needs, especially when it comes to your finances. Fortunately, the Social Security Administration might be able to provide you with SSI benefits for your autistic child. You could potentially receive monthly checks to cover your basic expenses and gain some peace of mind when it comes to your financial security.

Here’s some more information.

Qualifying for SSI Benefits

To qualify for SSI benefits, you’ll have to meet some requirements. First, you must provide medical proof that shows your child has:

  • Impaired verbal and non-verbal communication skills
  • An inability to participate in creative or imaginative activities or thoughts
  • Limited interest in different activities
  • Difficulty with social interactions


They also need to have extreme limitations or a marked limitation of two of the following areas of mental functioning:

  • Understanding, remembering, or applying information
  • Interacting with others
  • Concentrating, persisting, or maintaining pace
  • Adapting or managing oneself


The SSA says that your child’s condition must have lasted, or be expected to last at least 12 months.

Showing Proof to the SSA

The proof you’ll need to send to the SSA includes medical records. Statements from people who are familiar with your child’s condition could also be helpful. You’ll also have to send in your financial records including your tax returns and pay stubs to prove that you do not make too much money.

It’s always a good idea to contact a Social Security disability attorney for help with your case. Most people get denied for benefits, but if you have an attorney on your side, you’ll have a much better chance of receiving benefits.

Working With Schott Law

If you need help getting benefits for your autistic child, Schott Law is here for you. Maggie Schott is an SSDI & SSI lawyer serving Washington and Idaho. Contact us now at (509) 328-5789 to start your application.